I-Phone!

I-Phone!
we all want one now...

Monday 1 February 2010

A Frankenstory

Jennifer and I wrote a story collaboratively. I wrote the first 40 words and then sent it to Jennifer who could only see the last 10 words I had written. We both wrote two parts of the story, building on each other's last words. This was a fun and challenging activity that primary children would enjoy! Our Frankenstory worked out really well. Look at our collaborative story!

There are many advantages to working cooperatively. We know this from research by Vygostky and Piaget but we can also look at more recent theory. Cooperative learning gives:
  • Positive Independence- each member of the group needs the other members and each individual has a role that contributes to the overall success of a project. Each student becomes neccessary to the success of the project.

  • Face-to-face interaction- In a well-designed cooperative learning project, students will spend much of their time engaged with each other. They will NEED to communicate to complete a project.

  • Individual and group accountability- When each person has a role, he or she can be held accountable for completing the assigned task.

  • Interpersonal skills and group processing- Students working in collaborative teams will be practising communication skills and learning to make group decisions.

(Johnson, D & Johnson, R. 1999) (cited in Brown, Green and Robinson, 2008)

Whilst working on our Digital Movie, I feel that all members of the group worked cooperatively. We made decisions together and all know what role we had in the group.

5 comments:

@relativism said...

I'm glad you got your layout sorted, are you happier with this template?

I've also linked to your post on my post about our story =D

Anonymous said...

Wow Wow I love it what a great IDea and I am able to see how it can work with the children adding a part to the story to make the story on a larger scale. Well done thnak you for sharing that IDEA!!!!!

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mel said...

It’s interesting to see another collaborative piece of story writing software. I am going to have a look at this and see which one I prefer. How do you feel the software compares with Storybird?

Lauren's Blog said...

This software would work more as a summary than the full writing task. It could be used in conjunction with Storybird either beforehand to decide on the main ideas or after using Storybird to sum up the story.