I-Phone!

I-Phone!
we all want one now...

Sunday 7 February 2010

Using technology in the classroom!

I was looking at our ICT elective's wallwisher page and noticed that many people have been using Wordle. I was intrigued and looked at the website. I think this would be a good tool to use collaboratively in the classroom, when brainstorming thoughts and opinions. It could also be used individually after a student has wrote a piece of work. The Wordle chooses random words and I think this would sum up a piece of work nicely. Their are many uses for this and I think children would enjoy using this website. Another possible use of Wordle could be choosing random words and then swapping the wordle pieces with a peer and they can make a story from the words. Wordle could also be used for self and peer assessment as the children might enjoy writing in a brief manner rather than writing in sentences all of the time. Additionally, if the focus in a Language lesson is on a wide range of vocabularly, this tool could be used for assessment purposes.

I am due to start a placement in a pre-school shortly and have reading early years literature. I have been looking at the importance of play and this is what I made my Wordle piece based on.

Wordle: Learning through play

6 comments:

Collette said...

An interesting way to use Wordle.With Wordle you insert the words and Wordle places them randomly on the page. There are many uses for Wordle in the classroom, you have mentioned a couple, can you think of other uses?

@relativism said...

I'm glad that you have found the integrating technology wallwisher useful. I was impressed that we even had a post from New Zealand.

Great minds think alike, as they say, and this morning I asked people on Twitter to give me a word relating to engagement and/or motivation. The aim is to create a wordle based on this theme, I'll ask everyone in our elective for one too =D

Another idea would be to create a wordle based on a story, perhaps a fairy tale and ask the pupils to guess the story or main character from the this, they could then repeat the process themselves.

Lauren's Blog said...

That is a great idea collecting ideas from people from different countries!

I like that the children can work collaboratively or individually using Wordle.

I like the fairy tale idea and I think the children would be enthusiastic about this. Modelling an example and then allowing the children to make their own would make the activity straight forward.

Selina said...

I like how you linked your 'Wordle' to your thoughts on the Nursery placement. Your ideas are interesting and would be an enjoyable experience for children.
Children could work collaboratively when first learning how to use the application, building up using it on their own.

JAM14 said...

I think you have had some really good ideas about how to use Wordle in the classroom. I never thought of really using it for assessment but am sure it would work well! :)

Mrs Tonner-Saunders said...

A great tool for the IWB. Can people work collaboratively on the same Wordle?